Williams back at Silverstone in his 50th year as team boss

first_img Motorsport 10 Jul 2019 Silverstone to host British GP until at least 2024 Related News {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} SILVERSTONE, England (Reuters) – The British Grand Prix at Silverstone has always been a season’s highlight for Frank Williams and this weekend is no exception even if his 50th year in the sport sees his team last and without a point.Formula One’s longest serving team boss, now 77, is back in the team garage for the first time since last year’s race at Silverstone.”He doesn’t travel as he used to so he comes to Silverstone,” said daughter Claire, who effectively runs the team but carries the title of deputy principal. There has never been any question of her father stepping down.”We’re hoping he will come to Spa this year as well because you can drive there. So we’re putting those plans in at the moment.” Related Newscenter_img Motorsport 09 Jul 2019 Silverstone poised for new deal ahead of British Grand Prix Motorsport 11 Jul 2019 Hamilton can fuel the Silverstone celebrations Williams has been quadriplegic and in a wheelchair since a road accident after leaving a test in southern France in 1986, a year that ended with his team as constructors’ champions and heading for an era of dominance in the 1990s.The glory days are far in the past for the winners of nine constructors’ and seven drivers’ titles between 1980 and 1997, but Silverstone has a special place in the team’s history.The current Williams team, winners of 114 races, were founded by Frank Williams and Patrick Head in 1977 and took their first grand prix triumph at Silverstone in 1979 with the late Swiss Clay Regazzoni.”For Frank, it’s all about the future, but that was the start of what has been a phenomenal career in this sport,” said Claire. Williams had first made the step up to Formula One with British brewing scion Piers Courage racing one of his cars in 1969. ‘FROM NOTHING'”He started his own career racing himself, realised quite quickly he wasn’t any good at it — didn’t quite understand where the brakes were — and decided to be a constructor,” continued Claire.”It took him a decade to get that first grand prix win here. He fought incredibly hard. He had no money; he came from nothing. He had to sell the team at one point and then he had to again start from nothing.”But he never gave up and we talked a lot about that yesterday with the team, Frank’s resilience, his tenacity, and he really deserved that victory in 1979.”The team have not won a race since Spain in 2012 and the team have veered from third overall as recently as 2015 to their current lows of 10th in 2018 and even worse performance this season.In the early 1990s, however, Williams were the team to beat with their 1992 champion Nigel Mansell attracting huge crowds to Silverstone at the height of ‘Mansell Mania’.Claire Williams said bringing back such emotions and achievements was still the main motivation for the team.”Formula One has obviously changed dramatically since that time but nothing is unachievable in this life if you fight hard enough,” she said.”Those were the glory days of Williams and they were wonderful and it’s lovely to be able to celebrate Frank here this weekend and remind everybody of Frank’s role, not just in Williams but in Formula One as a whole.”He was part of the generation that made this sport what it is today and what we all benefit from and are so privileged to be a part of.” (Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Christian Radnedge)last_img read more

Grin and gripe

first_img KUALA LUMPUR: One coach was jumping for joy while the other was forlorn.Perak coach Mehmet Durakovic was grinning from ear to ear after they came back twice to edge Selangor 3-2 at the Perak Stadium in Ipoh on Wednesday.Meanwhile, his counterpart B. Sathianathan rued their bad luck as a number of the Red Giants’ players were on the crocked list.The visitors took the lead through Taylor Regan in 29th minute before Careca equalised in the 42nd. Three minutes later, Selangor regained the lead through Endrick Dos Santos. Related News Perak put them on level terms off a Leandro Dos Santos penalty in the 48th minute. Careca then bagged his brace and the winner in the 62nd minute.Durakovic was full of praise for his fighters.“I’m very, very happy with my players as we don’t have a big squad. Selangor are a good side with top local and foreign players and they also have a good set-up of coaches.“The two goals we conceded were due to our mistakes but to come back in the second half and win the game was not easy.“Credit to my players for their fighting spirit to collect full points,” said Mehmet. “I want the boys to enjoy the win with their families.”The Seladang have a day’s rest before heading north to play against their FA Cup final opponents Kedah on Saturday.Sathianathan was annoyed that despite dominating the match they failed to hang on to their lead.“Perak’s penalty kick hit the post and none of my players reacted to clear the ball. They all just gave up and this is what I don’t like,” said Sathianathan.“We have limited players now as most are injured and it will be a challenge to form a decent team for our last two matches.“I will seek divine help to make sure my players can recover fast.”Their next match will be against Petaling Jaya City on Saturday and will wrap up their fixtures against PKNS on July 20.Perak now have 30 points, moving up one rung to sixth in the 12-team standings while Selangor remain fifth on 31 points. Stumbling block: Perak’s Ronaldo Silva crashes into a Selangor player during the Super League match in Ipoh on Wednesday. — Bernama Football 10 Jul 2019 Durakovic keeps defenders awake as Giants loom Football 08 Jul 2019 The coast is clear Football 10 Jul 2019 Perak edge Selangor 3-2 in Super League clash {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} Related Newslast_img read more

Mexican president says he sees no threat of recession

first_imgMEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Friday that he sees no threat of a recession in the country, striking back amid mounting concerns about the health of the economy. AdChoices广告Speaking during his regular morning news conference, Lopez Obrador brushed aside economic concerns, saying the critics were speaking out “because it bothers them a lot that we have decided to end corruption.” (Reporting by Julia Love and Lizbeth Diaz; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama) World 10 Jul 2019 Mexico’s new finance minister does not see impending recession Related News World 11 Jul 2019 ‘Best day ever!’ Internet pokes fun at Mexico’s finance minister grim-faced job acceptance {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} World 10 Jul 2019 Mexico’s new finance minister, believer in stability, takes charge of choppy economy Related Newslast_img

US service member killed in Afghanistan

first_img {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} World 09 Jul 2019 U.S., Taliban resume talks after rival Afghans agree steps to end bloodshed Related News World 26 Jun 2019 Two U.S. service members killed in Afghanistan World 09 Jul 2019 Afghans, Taliban talk in Qatar about peace as war rages at homecenter_img A record 3,804 Afghan civilians were killed last year due to stepped-up air attacks by U.S.-led forces and more suicide bombings, the United Nations said in a February report.U.S. President Donald Trump wants to secure a political settlement with the Taliban to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan. The Taliban, however, demand a complete foreign force pull-out before entering into a formal peace agreement. (Reporting by Rupam Jain; Editing by Jacqueline Wong) Related News KABUL (Reuters) – A U.S. service member was killed in Afghanistan on Saturday, the NATO-led Resolute Support mission said in a statement.It gave no further details and withheld the name of the service member until the next of kin were informed.The latest fatality brings the tally of U.S. service member deaths in Afghanistan to at least seven in 2019.About 20,000 foreign troops, most of them American, are in Afghanistan as part of a U.S.-led NATO mission to train, assist and advise Afghan forces. Some U.S. forces carry out counter-terrorism operations against hardline Islamist militant groups.last_img read more

ProKhalistani Gopal Singh Chawla removed from PSGPC key to Kartarpur corridor

first_imgPro-Khalistani Gopal Singh Chawla removed from PSGPC key to Kartarpur corridorThe other anti-India, pro-Khalistani agents that no longer figure on that list are Maninder Singh, Tara Singh, Bisan Singh, and Kuljit Singh.advertisement Geeta Mohan New DelhiJuly 13, 2019UPDATED: July 13, 2019 10:49 IST HIGHLIGHTSIslamabad removed Khalistani supporter Gopal Singh Chawla from PSGPCThe decision comes just ahead of talks to be held on Sunday, July 14.Kartarpur Corridor was first proposed in 1999 by then Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.A day before the crucial second round of technical-level talks for the Kartarpur corridor between India and Pakistan, in a late night development on Friday, Islamabad removed Khalistani supporter Gopal Singh Chawla from Pakistan Sikh Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (PSGPC).India had been raising concerns and objections regarding the inclusion of anti-India elements in a committee that is critical to the operationalisation of the Kartarpur Sahib corridor.The other anti-India, pro-Khalistani agents that no longer figure on that list are Maninder Singh, Tara Singh, Bisan Singh, and Kuljit Singh.Gopal Singh Chawla, who is known to be a close aide of Jamaat ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, has been using the Gurudwaras in Pakistan to propagate anti-India sentiments.The decision comes just ahead of talks to be held on Sunday, July 14. Sources had told India Today on Friday evening that this matter would have come up during the talks.Regarding our concerns over Khalistani elements, we have been raising it on a regular basis and have marked strong protests. We also asked for clarification as to why they have been included in the Kartarpur committee. During the upcoming meeting also this would be raised. We will ask them what they have done to address the issue, said a source.But Pakistan has removed one major hurdle ahead of the talks. The second round of talks which were scheduled to take place on April 2 of this year were postponed after Khalistani elements were inducted in Pakistan’s Kartarpur corridor committee by Prime Minister Imran Khan.In an official statement on Friday (March 29), India said, “The country has shared concerns and sought clarifications on reports that controversial elements have been appointed by Pakistan to a committee associated with the Kartarpur corridor. It has been conveyed that the next meeting on the modalities can be scheduled at an appropriate time after receiving Pakistan’s response.””India wants to go ahead with the corridor but without any let up on our security concerns”, a source said.While one major impediment has been removed, it is a long way from finding common ground on technical issues to make the corridor operational for Sikh pilgrims to be able to celebrate Guru Nanak’s 550th birth anniversary in November this year.Both sides are yet to agree on certain major issue such including the mode of connectivity. While India wants to build a bridge over a flood-prone creek that leads to Kartarpur Sahib, Pakistan is indistinguishable on a causeway.The other issue is that of the numbers of pilgrims being allowed on a daily basis. While India is insisting on 5,000 pilgrims per day and is building infrastructure on its side accordingly, Pakistan is ready to handle just 700 pilgrims on a daily basis.Pakistan’s willingness to allow just 700 pilgrims per day is way lower than the demand from Indian pilgrims. The number has to go up. Moreover, it wants pilgrims to move in groups while we demand flexibility, an official said.Kartarpur Corridor was first proposed in 1999 by then Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. On 26 November 2018, the foundation stone for the Kartarpur corridor was laid down on the Pakistan side. Two days later the foundation stone for the corridor was laid down on the India side.Both sides aim to finish work in time for the inauguration of the corridor to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev on November 2019.A day before the crucial second round of technical-level talks for the Kartarpur corridor between India and Pakistan, in a late night development on Friday, Islamabad removed Khalistani supporter Gopal Singh Chawla from Pakistan Sikh Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (PSGPC). India had been raising concerns and objections regarding the inclusion of anti-India elements in a committee that is critical to the operationalisation of the Kartarpur Sahib corridor.The other anti-India, pro-Khalistani agents that no longer figure on that list are Maninder Singh, Tara Singh, Bisan Singh, and Kuljit Singh.Gopal Singh Chawla, who is known to be a close aide of Jamaat ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, has been using the Gurudwaras in Pakistan to propagate anti-India sentiments.The decision comes just ahead of talks to be held on Sunday, July 14. Sources had told India Today on Friday evening that this matter would have come up during the talks.Regarding our concerns over Khalistani elements, we have been raising it on a regular basis and have marked strong protests. We also asked for clarification as to why they have been included in the Kartarpur committee. During the upcoming meeting also this would be raised. We will ask them what they have done to address the issue, said a source.But Pakistan has removed one major hurdle ahead of the talks. The second round of talks which were scheduled to take place on April 2 of this year were postponed after Khalistani elements were inducted in Pakistan’s Kartarpur corridor committee by Prime Minister Imran Khan.In an official statement on Friday (March 29), India said, “The country has shared concerns and sought clarifications on reports that controversial elements have been appointed by Pakistan to a committee associated with the Kartarpur corridor. It has been conveyed that the next meeting on the modalities can be scheduled at an appropriate time after receiving Pakistan’s response.””India wants to go ahead with the corridor but without any let up on our security concerns”, a source said.While one major impediment has been removed, it is a long way from finding common ground on technical issues to make the corridor operational for Sikh pilgrims to be able to celebrate Guru Nanak’s 550th birth anniversary in November this year.Both sides are yet to agree on certain major issue such including the mode of connectivity. While India wants to build a bridge over a flood-prone creek that leads to Kartarpur Sahib, Pakistan is indistinguishable on a causeway.The other issue is that of the numbers of pilgrims being allowed on a daily basis. While India is insisting on 5,000 pilgrims per day and is building infrastructure on its side accordingly, Pakistan is ready to handle just 700 pilgrims on a daily basis.Pakistan’s willingness to allow just 700 pilgrims per day is way lower than the demand from Indian pilgrims. The number has to go up. Moreover, it wants pilgrims to move in groups while we demand flexibility, an official said.Kartarpur Corridor was first proposed in 1999 by then Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. On 26 November 2018, the foundation stone for the Kartarpur corridor was laid down on the Pakistan side. Two days later the foundation stone for the corridor was laid down on the India side.Both sides aim to finish work in time for the inauguration of the corridor to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev on November 2019.Also read: Pakistan sets condition for Kartarpur corridor, opposes Indian proposals: OfficialsALSO WATCH| Exclusive: Pakistan Prepares Draft Proposal on Kartarpur Corridor!For the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byIram Ara Ibrahim Nextlast_img read more

Rajya Sabha passes Aadhaar amendment Bill allows to file complaint in case

first_imgRajya Sabha passes Aadhaar amendment Bill, allows to file complaint in case of security breachWith the passage of the Bill, the people are now allowed to file complaints in cases of impersonation or disclosure of their identity.advertisement Siraj Qureshi AgraJuly 13, 2019UPDATED: July 13, 2019 18:25 IST Aadhaar, a 12-digit unique identification number issued to Indian citizens by Narendra Modi-led government has been the centre of major controversies in the past. (File Photo)HIGHLIGHTSThe Rajya Sabha on Monday passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019The people are now allowed to file complaints in cases of impersonation or disclosure of their identityAadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued to Indian citizens by Narendra Modi-led governmentThe Rajya Sabha on Monday passed the Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 that will allow the voluntary use of the 12-digit identification number as identity proof for Indians to open bank accounts and also get a mobile phone connection.Aadhaar, a 12-digit unique identification number issued to Indian citizens by Narendra Modi-led government has been the centre of major controversies in the past due to privacy concerns or logistical issues in getting a new card.With the passage of the Bill, the people are now allowed to file complaints in cases of impersonation or disclosure of their identity.However, sources said modifications in the cards made earlier are proving to be very difficult in the absence of an adequate number of Aadhaar Kendras.Although the banks and the post offices have been asked to fill in as Aadhaar centres, it is a fact that most of these banks and post offices do not have the facility of making a new card or rectifying an old one.Commenting on the passing of the Aadhaar Bill, social activist Deep Sharma said that it will be a major relief if simple tasks like opening a bank account or getting a new phone number could be accomplished without showing an Aadhaar card.Deep Sharma also said that the UPA government had introduced Aadhaar as a way to transfer subsidies and other government benefits directly to the people, but the BJP government made it a universal identity document and there were many cases of security breach.Jan Suvidha Kendras, opened to make Aadhaar cards, were closed without any announcement and the task was given to banks and post offices where the government employees were already overburdened with work that they showed no interest in making or modifying Aadhaar cards.Only 10 per cent of the people who went to the post office or the bank for a modification in their Aadhaar card or for a new card, actually got it done, the social activist further said.ALSO READ | Aadhaar Bill seeking its use as ID to open bank accounts passes in Lok SabhaALSO WATCH | All you need to know about the recent Aadhaar updateFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byPrakriti Sharma Nextlast_img read more