HEADED HOME Wellington has scored four goals but could be heading back to his home club. “Rodico (Wellington) wants to return. He has been training (since late December). He is from the area and represented the club,” Edwards disclosed. Edwards also said that the key to Tivoli doing well is the discipline. “The discipline has been good. However, we want better attitude from the players towards the game,” he shared. Edwards praised veteran Jermaine ‘Teddy’ Johnson for his leadership on and off the field. Johnson who is 36 year-old is the club’s leading marksman on eight goals. He is only one goal off leading striker Shamar Nicholson of Boys’ Town. “Teddy is not getting younger, he has a responsibility to keep the team together. He really wants to play and win titles at the club. He is the first to reach training and the last to leave,” Edwards said about Johnson who represented Jamaica and also played club football in England. When quizzed about his team’s chance of winning the premier league this year, Edwards responded: “Based on the quality players, we can stay in the top six and take it from there.” Tivoli will next play against promoted Maverley-Hughenden when the RSPL resumes on January 8. Tivoli Gardens are looking to bolster their Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) squad with one or two players during the January transfer window, which opened on Sunday. The West Kingston-based outfit enjoyed a good run last year and are currently in second position on 32 points, three behind leaders Montego Bay United (35). They have won 10 games, drawn twice and suffered five losses in their 17 league games. They have scored a league high 27 goals and conceded 14 times. However, coach Omar Edwards, who took over from Glendon ‘Admiral’ Bailey last summer says there could be additions to the team. “I understand that one or two players are interested in joining the team,” said Edwards. One of those players is Rodico Wellington, who started the season at promoted Maverley-Hughenden.
Berbice criminal assizesStafford Harry, called ‘Bilall’, of Lot 40 New Market Street, Rose Hall Town, Corentyne, accused of murdering New Amsterdam Market vendor Hansraj Samaroo, called ‘Watermelon Man’, of Hampshire Village, Corentyne, was on Monday found guilty as charged by a mixed jury at the Berbice High Court.Harry is reported to have committed this act of murder between March 27 and 28, 2010 during the commission of a robbery.The state’s case, presented by Prosecutor Tuanna Hardy, was that the accused, while in the company of others, robbed Samaroo at his home.The vendor’s wife, Kumarie Samaroo, who was present at home during the robbery, told the court during the trial that she and her husband had returned from the market on that fateful day at about 17:00h. Shortly thereafter, they were attacked by masked men, who ordered her to take off her jewellery.She said she refused to comply with this request, and started to scream for her husband, who was in the upper flat.The accused, whom she identified as “Bilall,’ rushed towards the upper flat, and a gunshot was heard soon after.As she ran upstairs, she saw her husband standing in front of the accused, who was armed with a gun. Her husband was at the time bleeding, and he reportedly died while receiving medical attention.Attorney-at- Law Sasha Robertson, who represented the accused, had told the court that Harry was not in the country at the time of the robbery.Harry, in a sworn statement, claimed he was in Suriname working with his brother. Roberts arguing that the post-mortem results did not indicate that the victim died as a result of a gunshot wound, but rather shock and haemorrhage due to a lacerated artery.After the jury had given its guilty verdict, Harry was reduced to tears. Justice Brassington Reynolds has ordered that a probation report be compiled on Harry, who will have to return to court on July 3 for sentencing.
7 months laterSome seven months after the Security Sector Reform (SSR) report was handed over to Government, President David Granger said the report is very detailed and is still being reviewed.“Security Sector Reform is being pursued, it’s expected that future appointees [in the Police Force] will vigorously carry out the approved reforms which aim at restoring public trust in the Force and reinforcing the Force’s capability to fight crime; and promote men and women of the highest calibre to become officers,” the Head of State told reporters on Thursday.President Granger went on to say the need for these reforms is necessary now more than ever, given the current security situation in the country, especially as itPresident David Grangerrelates to public trust in the armed forces.However, even as the President commits to ensuring security reform, he is yet to establish the office – which he had announced last November – would be tasked with the implementation of the reforms.Nevertheless, Minister of State Joseph Harmon told reporters last month that the SSR report was also being reviewed by the National Security Committee (NSC) which is comprised of local security stakeholder agencies.The US$4.7 million Security Sector Reform programme was initially launched in 2007 but was scrapped two years later after major disagreements between the then Administration and the United Kingdom Government over some of the conditions of the plan.However, during a meeting with then British Prime Minister David Cameron back in 2016, President David Granger had requested that the multimillion-dollar security sector pact be revived.As such, British security expert, Colonel Russel Combe, was brought in to conduct an assessment of the local security sector and compiled a report with steps to be taken to improve services.While the report focuses primarily on reforms within the Guyana Police Force, there are also measures included to address issues plaguing the prisons and the fire services as well as the Guyana Defence Force’s (GDF’s) Coast Guard.At the handing over of the report back in January, Combe had said the presentation of the report is not just the beginning or end of efforts to reform the local security sector.“The report is dynamic; it’s not to represent just the beginning. Activities supported by the United Kingdom have already commenced: the training of (Police’s) Strategic Planning Unit last year and then in November there was consultancy on the marine capability of the Police Force and indeed engaged with the coast guards as well… So this is not the beginning, nor is it the end,” he had noted.The UK expert had further stated that his Government does not want to see the report sitting on the shelf, gathering dust. In fact, he noted that the report was compiled in such a way that it can be broken up and separated into parts to be dealt with by different groupings.Colonel Combe is expected to oversee the implementation of his recommendations until March 2019 when his tenure comes to an end.
The United States (US) Embassy is warning the public of an ongoing tender scam using its name to fraudulently obtained monies from local businesses for alleged contracts.According to the Georgetown-based embassy on Thursday, it has been made aware of the scam whereby an individual going by the name of Ronnel Fisher is using the embassy’s name and logo to target businesses for the provision of solar generators and equipment.To this end, the foreign mission is urging businesses that if they receive a tender request from a “Ronnel Fisher, Tender Section of the Embassy of the United States” from the following email addresses: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com,” DO NOT ACT on this request.According to the statement, the US Government’s procurement procedures follow strict regulations outlined in the US Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).“If you receive an email from any company or individual claiming to represent the US Embassy Georgetown, be cautious. If you get an email from a company or individual asking you to contact them and pay them money, be cautious. These messages are not from the Federal Government. There is NO FEE to register for publicly advertised tenders by US Embassy Georgetown,” the embassy said.The US Embassy is also asking anyone or companies receiving such emails to notify the Embassy via email at: GeorgetownRSO@state.gov.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! INDIAN WELLS – Add Elena Dementieva to the growing list of star players to pull out of the Pacific Life Open. A right rib injury forced the fifth-seeded Dementieva to withdraw Wednesday from the tournament that already is missing three of the world’s top fiveplayers. Dementieva has a stress fracture that could sideline her for six weeks. Top-ranked Maria Sharapova, the defending champion, and No. 4 Svetlana Kuznetsova are the top seeds. No. 29 seed Meghann Shaughnessy, who is ranked 41st, is the top American in the field. Wild card Mirjana Lucic took another step in her comeback after nearly four years away from the game due to personal and financial problems. She earned a 6-4, 7-6 (4) win over Lindsey Nelson in a first-round match on the stadium court. “I feel very disappointed,” the 25-year-old Dementieva said. “I wanted to play here. I was in the final (last year). Now I’m going to miss a couple of tournaments.” Dementieva felt soreness while practicing in Moscow last week and has been in constant pain since, making sleeping and breathing difficult. Now she joins No. 2 Justine Henin, No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo and No. 5 Kim Clijsters on the list of top names missing from the 96-player field of the $2.1 million event.
VANCOUVER, B.C. – The Federal Court of Appeal has overturned the approval of the Northern Gateway Pipeline project.The court said the Canadian government failed to consult with aboriginal people before they gave the go-ahead to the controversial pipeline proposal to link Alberta’s oilsands to British Columbia’s north coast.The court overturned the $7.9 billion dollar project which was being constructed by Enbridge. The written decision was dated June 23rd but released today by JFK Law, which represents a First Nation involved in the appeal.- Advertisement -The pipeline was approved in 2014, but has since then been involved in legal uncertainty since then.Eight First Nations, four environmental groups and one labour union launched the legal challenge, which was heard by the appeal court in October.Source: The Canadian PressAdvertisement
0Shares0000Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo (L) and Costa Rican goalkeeper Keylor Navas attend a training session in Madrid on September 12, 2017, the eve of their Champions League Group H match against Apoel FC © AFP / Pierre-Philippe MARCOUMADRID, Spain, Sep 12 – Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane has underlined the importance of welcoming back World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo for the holders Champions League opener against APOEL Nicosia on Wednesday.Ronaldo has been suspended for Real’s last four games after pushing a referee in the Spanish Super Cup and has been badly missed as the European champions have been held at home by Valencia and Levante in their last two outings. “He doesn’t just bring goals,” said Zidane on Tuesday.“He is an important player in the squad, he is a leader. He always wants to win and he transmits that to the rest.“Every time he is with us, I as a coach and the rest of the players are happy.”Ronaldo’s absence has been felt even more acutely due to Madrid’s surprising shortage of striking options.Real failed to replace Alvaro Morata following his £70 million ($91 million, 78 million euros) switch to Chelsea as they missed out to Paris Saint-Germain for French wonder kid Kylian Mbappe.Mariano Diaz has also enjoyed a stunning start in France after being allowed to leave for Lyon.And with Karim Benzema sidelined for a month, 20-year-old Borja Mayoral is the only natural centre-forward available to Zidane.“When you look at the players we had like Morata and Mariano and you look now and there is only Mayoral, you could think we lack a number nine,” admitted Zidane.“I would have liked Morata to stay, but you have to understand that he wanted to leave to play more and we respect that.”Zidane will also be able to recall Keylor Navas, Raphael Varane, Casemiro, Luka Modric, Isco and Gareth Bale after they were all rested from the start against Levante at the weekend.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsFord has been reducing its sales volume by reducing fleet sales and is no longer selling cars for rental use. As a result sales are down, he said. “Some dealers have found the reduced level of business isn’t as profitable and have made the decision to close the business,” he said. Eight of 219 Ford dealerships in California have closed in the last year, he said. Whittier Councilman Joe Vinatieri said he’s disappointed. “I’m saddened because they’ve been in town for a long time and also are a larger producer of sales-tax revenue for our community,” Vinatieri said. WHITTIER – Board Ford has announced it will close its automobile dealership no later than Jan. 9. The dealership at 15265 Whittier Blvd., which opened in 1968, is closing in part because of a strategic decision by Ford to reduce its sales volume, said John Coinard, spokesman for Ford Motor Co., which also owns Board Ford. The closure will displace 75 employees. “We know from its history that the market is quite well-served,” Coinard said. “It could be argued that it’s saturated. As a result, Board Ford is one of the dealerships closing.” City Manager Steve Helvey said while he can’t legally reveal the exact amount of sales tax, it is “substantial” and among Whittier’s top 10 producers. “It’s certainly equal to one of the larger stores at Whittwood (Mall),” Helvey said. Helvey said he doesn’t believe the closure is a negative indication for Whittier’s business climate. “(Ford) is closing dealerships much larger than Board Ford,” he said, referring to Don Kott (Carson), Keystone (Norwalk) and Claremont dealerships. “They’re also one of the few company-owned stores,” he said. “Ford didn’t want to take the full risk on the property.” In essence, Ford is saying that it wants dealers to take the risk of car sales, not the corporation, Helvey said. “When you have a dealership, you let (the owner) reap the rewards or losses of operating it,” he said. Helvey said the loss of revenue should not have a significant effect on the city’s budget. “We don’t see it as any difference than the contingency we provided when Whittwood closed for remodeling,” he said. “We view this as a temporary loss of revenue.” Mayor Owen Newcomer said he believes a replacement dealership can be found for the six-acre Board Ford site. “We’re not sure of the form it will take,” Newcomer said. “We’ve got a good market.” City officials have been talking to other dealers in Whittier about moving to a larger site, such as Board Ford’s. Those informal discussions also would include replacing the dealership that would move into the Board Ford site, Helvey said. While city officials declined to name names, it is known Toyota of Whittier aims to expand. One customer on his way to Board Ford’s parts department y said he is disappointed about the closing. “It’s too bad the corporate thing didn’t hold up,” said Lester Pearson of La Habra, who added that he has been going to the dealership for 30 years. Thursda firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Veteran Donegal runner Pauric McKinney showed he still has what it takes this afternoon when he came in second in the Celtic CRoss Country at the ALSAA Club in Dublin today.The well-known Letterkenny AC man came in just behind winner Peter Matthews (Dundrum South Dublin AC) and ahead of John Harkin (Tullamore Harriers) in third in the V1 competition.Ends MCKINNEY COMES SECOND IN THE CELTIC CROSS COUNTRY VETERANS RACE was last modified: February 6th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A path has seemingly been cleared for the 22-year-old’s exit after Sampdoria reached a deal to sign Lokomotiv Zagreb’s Lovro Majer as his replacement.Arsenal are trying to get their business done early, prior to the 2018 World Cup if possible.However Torreira is in Uruguay’s squad for the tournament, and could be tied up for the next six weeks if his country progess to the latter stages. Arsenal are reportedly close to finalising a £22million deal for Sampdoria’s Lucas Torreira.The midfielder has a €25m (£22m) release clause which Unai Emery is said to be close to activating. 22-year-old Torreira is in Uruguary’s World Cup squad 1