Champions Liverpool have lost twice in the league all season.”We’re leading in goals. We create a lot of chances,” said Guardiola, who lost a third straight away league game for the first time in his managerial career.”We’re a team who concede less — no team conceded as few chances as us but we lost a lot of games.”It’s difficult even for me to find a reason why but you have to insist and talk about the game, the way they play and try to do more, concede as few as possible and score up front.” Topics : Guardiola backed City to return to winning ways at home against Newcastle United on Wednesday.”I have confidence we can do it because we are the same guys and we did it in previous seasons,” he added.”This season the way we are playing is quite similar but it is not enough to win the games.” Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he is struggling to understand why his team score so many goals and limit the opposition to so few chances but have still lost nine Premier League matches this season.City, who relinquished the league title to Liverpool, lost 1-0 at Southampton on Sunday despite dominating possession (73%) and peppering the Saints goal with more than 20 shots.Striker Che Adams sealed victory for 13th-placed Southampton and condemned City, who beat Liverpool 4-0 in their last game, to a third successive league defeat away from home.
Stuff co.nz 26 February 2017Family First Comment: Very very disturbing“Patients are having do-not-resuscitate orders placed on them without their consent or that of their family.”Life-ending orders continue to be slapped on unsuspecting hospital patients who doctors think should be left to die.Patients are having do-not-resuscitate orders placed on them without their consent or that of their family.Stuff understands there has been one such case in recent weeks at Palmerston North Hospital, where a patient had an order placed on them without their family’s knowledge.The family did not want to publicly discuss the issue, but were shocked to discover what happened.MidCentral District Health Board did not respond to questions about the incident.The same thing happened to Tim Wallace’s mother Juanita at the same hospital in 2010.“I asked to see her file to see what she was on and they brought out the folder and in the front of it there was a thing they call a ‘green sheet’. As I found out later, the ED doctor had put a non-resuscitation order on her.”She died about three years after that admission to hospital.READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/89655156/hospitals-slap-donotresuscitate-orders-on-patients-without-consentKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
During the meeting, county administrator Terri O’Connor said the resolution had been put forth by Scharfenberger, but he said in a later interview that it had come in response to a resident raising the issue at a meeting several months ago. Before the freeholders were due to vote on the resolution, county counsel Michael Fitzgerald cited some concerns he had about the measure, including using the word illegal “in places that it probably shouldn’t have been.” He said he was unsure he had drafted a resolution “that properly conveys the freeholders’ concerns or what the freeholders’ expressions are for purposes of doing this.” “I think that the timing of this is shockingly inappropriate,” said Red Bank resident Cathleen Goode of the resolution. “And I have to tell you this embarrasses me for our county, for the county in which I live and I vote.” Yeimi Hernandez, a DACA recipient who read a statement on behalf of the Latino Coalition, criticized the freeholders for practicing “shameful politics.” The Rev. Jonathan Elsensohn, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Freehold, said that in recent years, fewer people are using a food pantry in town. Subsequently, Scharfenberger made the motion to table the resolution. His office did not respond toa request for comment. “And I think before we do anything that is I think this important or of this much interest (to) everybody who’s here and beyond, I think we owe it to everybody to take a look at it, as Mr. Fitzgerald said (and) make sure the wording is correct to convey I think what the motivation was from our standpoint and also look into some of the things we heard here,” Scharfenberger said from the dais. “If we’re satisfied and we want to revisit it in a couple of weeks, then so be it.” Fellow freeholder Patrick Imprevedutosaid officials would “come back in the futurewith our decision.” But critics of the freeholders’ resolution gathered en masse at the board’s meeting. The timing of the resolution coincided with the nation confronting a crisis on its southern border and amid concerns about the treatment of border crossers in federal detention facilities. One woman at the meeting held up a photo that appeared in that day’s edition of The New York Times and elsewhere of drowned migrant Oscar Martinez and his young daughter, whose bodies washed ashore in the Rio Grande River. In 2017, authorities at the MiddlesexCounty Jail did not honor an ICE detainer, oradministrative hold, on a Mexican national,who was released and later charged in a triplemurder in Missouri, in November 2018. “We’re just looking at this from a law enforcement perspective,” freeholder and state Assembly candidate Gerry P. Scharfenberger said after the meeting. “And there’s been documented instances where the lack of communication between the state and the federal government have resulted in people who probably shouldn’t have been released being released. The real motivation was just to make sure that the law is followed and cooperation between law enforcement is an ongoing thing.” Rita Dentino, director of Casa Freehold, an immigrant rights organization, told the freeholders that her organization was “horrified” by the proposed resolution. “We believe it is important to welcome immigrants living among us, regardless ofthe immigration status,” she said. “They cutyour lawns, make your food and repair yourhomes. Do not fall prey to the notion that weare criminals and need to be feared.” But politicians in Republican-controlled parts of the state like Monmouth have pushed back against the Murphy administration. In Middletown Township, where Murphy lives, the township committee voted in April for a resolution saying it would not be a sanctuary city and opposing New Jersey becoming a sanctuary state. The language in the freeholders’ resolution was similar to the one in Middletown. “Our best supposition for this decline is that members of the undocumented community are no longer coming out to receive vital services because they fear for their safety,” he said. “This resolution will only contribute to that culture of fear and will impede our ability, as people of faith, to care for our neighbors.” “This document will take this level of fear, which is at its highest in our 16 years of existence, … to a new level of high fear throughout Monmouth County,” she said. By Philip Sean Curran FREEHOLD – On a hot June afternoon, the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders faced a blizzard of criticism about its proposed resolution opposing New Jersey becoming a sanctuary state for illegal immigrants. “The proposed resolution illustrates the Board of Chosen Freeholders’ desire to divide the residents of our county rather than to bring us together for the betterment of our community,” they said. “We would encourage our Freeholders to focus on priorities directly impacting Monmouth County’s residents every day rather than fueling an already divisive cultural conversation.” The board, at its June 26 meeting, voted to table a measure that said, in part, that “sanctuary policies are harmful to the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the county of Monmouth.” Nationally, immigration has become a subject of concern among a growing number of Americans. A Gallup poll released in June found immigration ranked as the country’s second biggest problem, at 23 percent, behind government, at 26. This was the first time in Gallup’s tracking of the issue that it rated so high a concern, the polling agency said. In February, the Pew Research Center said a “majority” of the roughly 10.7 million undocumented immigrants in the United States live in New Jersey and five other states. New Jersey was home to an estimated 475,000 as of 2016, behind California (2.2 million), Texas (1.6 million), Florida (775,000), and New York (725,000) and ahead of Illinois (400,000), the report found. One estimate, by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, said Monmouth County was home to 23,000 undocumented immigrants in 2017. New Jersey, home to the fifth largest population of undocumented immigrants in the country, has provided them with college financial aid and earmarked $2.1 million to pay for legal aid for their immigration cases since Murphy, a Democrat, became governor last year. In November, state Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal issued an “immigrant trust directive” to all law enforcement in the state saying they cannot stop, arrest or question someone based on their actual or suspected immigration status, and cannot participate in immigration enforcement actions by federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), among other restrictions. The directive carved out some exemptions. Freeholder Lillian G. Burry said the decision to table the resolution was not because freeholders agreed with some of the “disturbing” comments by the public during the meeting, where freeholders were called hateful. “Gov. Phil Murphy and the New Jersey Legislature has enacted legislation providing benefits to illegal undocumented immigrants,” the resolution read in declaring that the county will “never become home to a sanctuary city.” The Trump administration has taken a tough stance on illegal immigration. In April, ICE said 12 of 123 “immigration violators” arrested earlier in the year were from Monmouth County. Moira Nelson and Michael Penna, the two Democrats running for freeholder this November, released a statement criticizing the board after the June 26 meeting. “The reason is we obviously put forth the wrong message in the way it was written,” she said of the decision to table the resolution. “So I want to see it reworded. I want the true intent of what we have in mind to come for ward.”
Doug O’Neill2468225%$271,210 Mario Gutierrez1322315%$108,920 John Shirreffs2200100%$67,200 CALIFORNIA ‘BIG THREE’ DOING GREAT FOR PREAKNESSOnly one horse on the planet can win the Triple Crown this year, and that horse is American Pharoah.That said, the first three finishers in the Kentucky Derby, Pharoah, Firing Line and Dortmund, all based at Santa Anita, are scheduled to meet in the second jewel of the Triple Crown, the Preakness Stakes, at Pimlico on May 16.“You go in there with two really good horses and you’re hoping they run their races, and they did,” said Bob Baffert, trainer of Pharoah and Dortmund, recounting the experience last Saturday before a record Churchill Downs crowd of more than 170,000.“Dortmund really looked good in the paddock, but Pharoah got a little worked up on the walk. I was a little concerned because he spent a lot of energy going through all those people getting to the saddling area, and they were running alongside, and he doesn’t like that.“It really stirred him up pretty good, and he dragged his galloper and his groom all the way to the paddock. He was getting a little hot but then he cooled down and settled down, and after that he was real professional, like he usually is.“Everybody wanted to get a picture of him on the walk over. Dortmund handled the saddling really well. Down the backside Dortmund was in a nice stride and I thought he was going to go all the way with it, and then he got a little tired at the end.“Victor (Espinoza) swung way wide on Pharoah who seemed to be struggling a bit and I was worried a little about that, because Firing Line was running the race of his life, and that’s what you need to win the Derby, especially this year.“It was the toughest Derby I’ve ever been in. This crop is really strong.”American Pharoah and Dortmund both went to the track today and Jimmy (assistant Jim Barnes) said they really looked excellent,” Baffert said. “We’re pretty excited about the Preakness.”Simon Callaghan was happy with Firing Line’s second by a length to American Pharoah.“He came out of the race really well,” Callaghan said of the Sunland Derby winner. “He’s showing us all the right signs since the race and he’ll ship to Pimlico on Wednesday. He ran great. He did everything you could ask, he just got run down late, but he came out of the race as good as you could hope.” Alex Solis823125%$108,780 Elvis Trujillo1930216%$134,140 Dan Hendricks721029%$37,090 Santiago Gonzalez1834117%$107,460 Gonzalo Nicolas2432413%$99,940 Tiago Pereira1625313%$129,370 Michael Machowsky922122%$68,850 Fernando Perez3146613%$188,230 (Current Through Sunday, May 3) Victor Espinoza520040%$70,350 TrainerSts1st2nd3rdWin%Money Won Drayden Van Dyke2334113%$150,840 Bob Baffert621133%$89,690 SANTA ANITA STATISTICS BAZE KEEN ON WARREN’S VENEDA FOR GRADE I VANITYTyler Baze felt he had a good thing going with Warren’s Veneda when he rode her to her first win over two years ago.It came in a stakes race.Baze piloted the California-bred daughter of Affirmative to a 1 ¾-length victory in her second career start, the Alphabet Kisses Stakes for state-breds at Hollywood on April 27, 2013.Since then, the 32-year-old Seattle native has ridden her seven times, winning four, the last three in a row, including the Grade I Santa Margarita Stakes on March 14 for Craig Lewis, who trains the stretch-running chestnut mare for owner/breeder Benjamin Warren.Next up: Saturday’s Grade I, $300,000 Vanity Stakes for fillies and mares, three and up, at 1 1/8 miles, a race in which two-time Eclipse champ Beholder was entered, but will not run.“She had a temperature this morning and had a high white blood count,” trainer Richard Mandella said Thursday. “She’s on antibiotics and out of the race.”It might have been four straight wins for Warren’s Veneda but Baze was beaten a head by Tiz Midnight in the Grade II Bayakoa Stakes at Los Alamitos last Dec. 6.“She was a little unlucky at Los Alamitos, but she’s done everything so easy this year,just playing around and having fun, just happy really,” Baze said. “Craig’s been keeping her happy. She’s loving what she’s doing.“In all three of the wins, I got down to ride her a little bit, but she’s had her ears pricked forward having fun. She’s doing great now and I expect her to run huge.”The field for the Vanity, race five of nine: Warren‘s Veneda, Tyler Baze; Gas Total, Flavien Prat; My Sweet Addiction, Mike Smith; and Legacy, Martin Garcia. Philip D’Amato1351238%$200,440 ‘VENEDA’ SEEKS FOURTH STRAIGHT; BEHOLDER OUTPREAKNESS STAKES NEXT FOR AMERICAN PHAROAHRACING MOURNS THE PASSING OF ‘BUD’ JOHNSTONSTREAKING TALCO EYES HIS THIRD WIN IN A ROW Mike Puype1321115%$103,240 Joseph Talamo2641615%$150,168 TALCO EYES GRADED STATUS IN AMERICAN STAKESTalco steps up in pursuit of his third straight victory when he runs in Saturday’s Grade III American Stakes for 3-year-olds and up at one mile on turf.The 4-year-old French-bred colt won an overnight race at one mile on grass March 12, and the restricted Thunder Road on April 4, also at a mile on turf.“He’s doing really well,” said John Sadler, who trains the son of Pivotal for Hronis Racing LLC. “He had a very good, game win in the Thunder Road. We were delighted with it.“This is a little tougher field, facing the sensational horse from South America (Bal a Bali). I know he’s pretty good, so this is kind of the next step up.”As for Santa Anita Oaks winner Stellar Wind, fourth in the Kentucky Oaks on May 1, she came out of the race in good order and could run at Santa Anita late next month.“She came back well, but we have no plans yet,” Sadler said. “She’s possible for the Summertime Oaks (June 20, Grade II, $200,000, 1 1/16 miles).”The field: Enterprising, Gary Stevens, 12-1; War Academy, Corey Nakatani, 15-1; Winning Prize, Rafael Bejarano, 5-2; Gabriel Charles, Tyler Baze, 8-1; Talco, Victor Espinoza, 5-2; Little Jerry, Martin Pedroza, 20-1; Home Run Kitten, Joe Talamo, 5-1; and Bal a Bali, Flavien Prat, 9-5.FINISH LINES: WELCOME BACK–Veteran jockey Scott Stevens, 54, who just wrapped up his seventh riding title with 104 wins at Turf Paradise, rode first-time starter Mint Julep Taffy to a third-place finish for trainer Molly Pearson in today’s third race, marking his first engagement at The Great Race Place “in at least 10 years.” . . . Jockey David Flores has been granted permission to resume riding by the California Horse Racing Board effective immediately. The 46-year-old native of Tijuana had been disqualified from participating in riding for one year by authorities in Singapore in late March. Felipe Valdez2554120%$153,720 Edwin Maldonado2244318%$122,830 Rafael Bejarano1933516%$154,900 Richard Mandella1224117%$195,120 Peter Miller1023120%$104,830 William Spawr420050%$24,350 RACING MOURNS PASSING OF OWNER/BREEDER BUD JOHNSTONThe racing world and California in particular mourned the passing of Elwood (Bud) Johnston, who died in his sleep Tuesday. Johnston, who bred and raced 2011 Eclipse Award champion older male Acclamation, would have been 78 yesterday.“I’m just numb,” said an emotional Kenny Black, assistant to Don Warren, who trained for Johnston many years. “He was so good to me. He was an excellent horseman and treated me like a son. He loved horse racing and he loved to run.“The only thing he didn’t like was not running. ‘Dag-nab it,’ he would say if he was angry or upset because a horse couldn’t race. I never heard him use a curse word.“He was at our house in Rancho Cucamonga all day Sunday for my daughter Kaylee’s seventh birthday party, playing with all the kids and having a great time. He and his wife were the last people to leave.“In all my years in the business, I never met a better a horseman. I learned something from him every day.”In addition to Warren, the Johnston family had tremendous success over the years with trainer Bruce Headley. “He was my best friend, my buddy, my partner,” Headley told the Paulick Report on Tuesday. “He was very honest, very knowledgeable, and always enthusiastic. He truly loved horses. He was nice to people and always a gentleman, always smiling.”California’s leading breeder 13 times, Old English Rancho has bred more than 200 stakes winners and has been home to prominent stallions such as Fleet Nasrullah, The Pie King, Lucky Mel, Windy Sands, Kennedy Road and Unusual Heat.Johnston was the son of Elwood B. “The Pie Man” Johnston, who began breeding and owning horses in California in the 1940s with the establishment of Old English Rancho in Chino. Bud Johnston and his wife, Judy, took over management of the farm which had been moved to Ontario, in 1957. “O.E.R.” was again relocated in 1997 to Sanger, near Fresno, where its current stallion roster is comprised of Acclamation (by Unusual Heat), Cyclotron, Surf Cat, Vronsky and Big Bad Leroy Brown.Acclamation won 11 of 30 starts including the $1 million Pacific Classic in 2011, in a career spanning from 2008 to 2012. He earned $1,958,048, and was thus Johnston’s all-time leading money earner.Preceded in death by his father and mother, Betty, Johnston is survived by his wife of 58 years, Judy, daughters Darlene Johnston Smith, Mary Johnston Hilvers, five grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.Services for Johnston are pending. Tyler Baze3984821%$352,500 JockeyMts1st2nd3rdWin%Money Won Mark Glatt1422314%$75,220 Richard Baltas1342131%$259,200 Flavien Prat3368118%$359,110