At some point in the third quarter, Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman ditched his sport coat, leaving just an untucked white dress shirt with the top two buttons open.SU’s seven third quarter turnovers – and just four made baskets — warranted its coach’s frustration, and Hillsman saw a four-point deficit balloon to 11. A 10-3 Hurricanes run to open the second half foreshadowed more lopsided play to come.“They came out man-to-man, and we just didn’t come out and execute,” assistant coach Vonn Read told WAER postgame. “They capitalized on those turnovers.”In a game in which both teams played a fast-paced, pressing style, the one that created more open looks from 3 and protected the ball earned a clear edge. Throughout Sunday’s matchup against Miami (10-6, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) in Coral Gables, Syracuse (8-7, 2-2) was slow closing out on Hurricane shooters, and lead guard Kiara Lewis committed a season-high nine turnovers.The Orange couldn’t keep up with the red-hot Hurricanes, who shot 40% from behind the arc and 51.9% overall to hand SU a 77-62 loss. Miami’s 77 points is the most Syracuse has allowed in a non-overtime game since then-No. 3 Stanford scored 77 on Nov. 29.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMiami opened the game on a 10-2 run as Syracuse struggled to locate Hurricane shooters. Miami shot SU out of its zone with three quick triples, forcing the Orange to play man-to-man.In the second quarter, the Orange returned to their 2-3 zone, and Miami made them pay once again. The Hurricanes went 2-for-3 in the second period, including a Mykea Gray corner 3 with 10 seconds left in the half. Miami shot 60% from 3 in the first half to gain a 35-31 halftime advantage.Roshan Fernandez | Asst. Digital EditorSyracuse stayed competitive in the first half thanks to a boost from freshman guard Teisha Hyman, who came off the bench and hit her first five shots. Hyman, who suffered a medial meniscus tear over the summer that slowed her progression this season, scored a season-high 15 points.“She’s a special player,” Read said. “She can really get it going.”In the first half, Hyman scored in transition, off catch-and-shoots and on the offensive glass, but only recorded two points in the second half.Miami continued to drain 3s in the third quarter, hitting its first two attempts. The Hurricanes turned seven SU turnovers into nine points, and Hyman cooled off. SU had no answer for Gray and Kelsey Marshall, who combined for 41 points on 7-for-15 from deep.On one possession in the fourth quarter, quick passing around the perimeter produced a wide-open 3 in the corner that Gabrielle Cooper was late to challenge. The shot missed, but an offensive rebound produced another open 3 and later a putback lay-in.Out of a timeout later in the fourth, Miami’s Marshall finished a layup, then Gray stole SU’s inbound pass and converted another. The sequence gave Miami a 70-51 lead, their largest of the afternoon.Seventeen of Syracuse’s 20 turnovers came from playmakers Lewis and Emily Engstler.Miami’s press baited SU into errant passes, and the Orange allowed fast-break layups. A Miami hail-mary inbound pass to Endia Banks gave the Hurricanes an easy two, and a putback lay-in off a press break on the next possession kept the Orange at bay.Syracuse aims to make 10 3s per game, or at least make more than its opponent Hillsman said on Dec. 4. On Sunday, the Orange did neither.Before the loss to Miami, Syracuse won back-to-back overtime games at home. They return to the Carrier Dome on Jan. 16 for a matchup with Georgia Tech. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 12, 2020 at 2:32 pm Contact Danny: email@example.com | @DannyEmerman
David Moyes has told Everton he wants to become Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor as Manchester United manager.The Goodison Park club confirmed that Moyes will depart when his contract expires this summer.Minutes earlier, Manchester United appeared to signal that Moyes’ appointment was imminent.The Old Trafford club put a entry on their Facebook page that said: “Send your personal welcome to our new manager David Moyes”.United had denied a deal was done and said they did not know how the page was updated.The page was later deleted. Ferguson, 71, revealed his decision to step down on Wednesday after nearly 27 years in charge at Old Trafford.An announcement is expected on Thursday, although the discussions mean that could slip to Friday.Moyes, in charge at Goodison Park since 2002, is out of contract at the end of the season.The 50-year-old held talks with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright on Wednesday evening.Kenwright told Sky Sports News: “David’s contract is up in six weeks’ time and he has a right to make his own decisions. He has served this club wonderfully well.” Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has also been linked with the task of replacing Ferguson, but Moyes looks set to get the job.United chief executive David Gill believes the job is a unique opportunity for whoever takes over.“It is a dream job,” he told MUTV.“The new manager will inherit a great squad and infrastructure off the pitch, with a great staff.“He will be walking into a difficult situation in terms of the number of trophies, but the positive of also having the support of the Manchester United family.” Wigan’s Roberto Martinez and Swansea’s Michael Laudrup are thought to top Everton’s list of potential replacements should Moyes, as expected, be confirmed as United’s next manager.Kenwright added that he thought Moyes would still be in charge of the Toffees on Sunday, when they entertain West Ham for what would be the former Preston manager’s final home game in charge. Everton, who reached the FA Cup quarter-finals this season, are currently sixth in the Premier League table, six points adrift of Tottenham in fifth but five above Merseyside rivals Liverpool.A number of high-profile football names believe Moyes is the right man to replace Ferguson, who won 38 trophies during his time at the United helm.“He’s cut from the same cloth,” said former United captain Steve Bruce. “It wouldn’t surprise me if he got the job and I’m sure he would be very successful. “He’s not had huge finances but he has still managed to put an Everton team together that comfortably finishes in the top 10.”Former United assistant manager Steve McClaren added: “He’s a winner and has a work ethic similar to Sir Alex.“He’s also built a dynasty and legacy at Everton. He’s waited many years for this opportunity and I hope he gets it.”Former England and Everton striker Gary Lineker said Moyes would be a “sensible” appointment but said expectations would be enormous.“He is hugely respected within the game and he will instantly get the respect of the players, but it’s the biggest pair of shoes you can follow,” said the Match of the Day presenter. “He will always be judged against someone with phenomenal success, but he will know that anyway.“It is going to be extraordinarily difficult for the next boss of Manchester United because, if it goes wrong, the fans will let him know they are missing Sir Alex.“However, you can still see the allure of the job. It is one of the three biggest clubs in the world, so it will always get big names wanting it.”Former United defender Gary Neville also backed Moyes as a successor to Ferguson.“I don’t know if he’s going to be appointed, but I would welcome it,” Neville, who won eight league titles at United, told Sky Sports. “It makes sense.” Former Liverpool and Scotland defender Alan Hansen thinks Moyes is the right man to replace Ferguson.“David Moyes is the perfect choice,” he told BBC Sport. “He has done an incredible job at Everton.“He speaks well and knows the game inside out. I think the Manchester United fans will take to him.”But former England striker Alan Shearer believes the appointment of Moyes is a risk given he has not won a trophy during 11 years in charge at Everton.“Anyone who has worked with David Moyes says great things about his man-management and his coaching,” Shearer told BBC Sport.“The only thing you would say is that he has not won a trophy at Everton.“But I suppose anyone who goes into Manchester United is a big gamble because it is going to be one heck of a big pair of shoes to fill.”Former United manager Tommy Docherty said he would “feel sorry” for Moyes should he be appointed.“If it is David Moyes, then I congratulate him and feel sorry for him,” said Docherty. “How can you follow the impossible?”
(The Associated Press contributed to this report) WASHINGTON — A judge has temporarily halted plans to execute a north-central Iowa drug kingpin for the 1993 murders of three witnesses and two children.Dustin Honken of Britt was convicted of the July 1993 murders of 34-year-old Greg Nicholson, 31-year-old Lori Duncan, as well as Duncan’s two children, 10-year-old Kandace and six-year-old Amber, at Duncan’s Mason City home. Honken was also convicted of murdering another informant, 32-year-old Terry DeGeus, four months later. Their five bodies were found buried in a field southwest of Mason City in the fall of 2000. Honken was one of the Midwest’s early large-scale producers of methamphetamine and was sentenced in 1997 to a 27-year term for making and distributing drugs.Honken’s girlfriend Angela Johnson was also convicted in connection with the murders and was sentenced to death, but her punishment was reduced to life in prison in 2014.US Attorney General William Barr announced in July that he had directed the Federal Bureau of Prisons to clear the way to resume capital punishment after a nearly two decade lapse. Honken was scheduled to be executed on January 15th at the federal prison in Terre Haute Indiana.U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan put the cases of Honken and four others on ice while the challenge plays out. She said in a Wednesday evening ruling that the public is not served by “short-circuiting” legitimate judicial process. Barr told the Associated Press on Thursday that he would take the issue all the way to the US Supreme Court if necessary.