continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr On a seasonally-adjusted basis, overall consumer prices increased 0.1 percent in February, matching January’s growth. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that the overall consumer price index (CPI) grew 2.3 percent over the 12-month period.Based on the slowing growth and anticipated effects of the coronavirus on the economy, NAFCU Chief Economist and Vice President of Research Curt Long, in a new Macro Data Flash report, shared his expectation that the Federal Reserve will issue another 50-basis point rate cut during next week’s Federal Open Market Committee meeting.Earlier this month, the Federal Reserve cut interest rates by 50 basis points in efforts to mitigate the potential economic effects of the coronavirus, setting the federal funds target rate at a range of 1 to 1.25 percent.
Luis Ortiz edges closer to a shot at Tyson Fury’s WBC belt after swift victory over Alexander Flores in Los Angeles; Ortiz ends year-long absence from ring with first-round knockout to strengthen position as No 3 in WBC rankings By Richard DamerellLast Updated: 08/11/20 8:29am
Topics : After previously giving the green light for schools in COVID-19 green zones, or low-risk areas, to reopen in mid-July, the government expanded its school reopening policy to schools in yellow zones, or moderate-risk areas, on Friday.The move sparked criticism from teachers and pediatricians, who called for schools to stay focused on distance learning as they feared that sending children back to school could put them at risk of contracting the coronavirus.Nadiem, however, said that conventional face-to-face learning was, in many cases, the only available option amid socioeconomic discrepancies among teachers and students across the archipelago.He went on to say that, for instance, 88 percent of the country’s least developed regions were considered green and yellow zones, and that they had no option but to reopen schools due to their limited access to decent internet connections and digital communication software. Read also: Decision to reopen more schools draws ire from teachers“There’s always an element of increased risk in doing this, but when we have 50 percent of our population struggling immensely for reasons that are not their fault, […] the gap between them and the more well-to-do parts of the economy could become permanently unbridgeable,” Nadiem said.He called on the public to view the current situation not only as a health or economic crisis, but also as an education crisis that could have lasting repercussions for the future of Indonesian youth.“This is something we need to balance in our considerations and policies, while maintaining as strict a health protocol as possible,” he added.In response to concerns over the health and safety of students returning to schools amid the pandemic, Nadiem said the government had issued an official guideline mandating – among other things – a limit on the number of students allowed to attend classes on a given day and the temporary closure of all extracurricular, nonessential activities.Furthermore, the decision to reopen schools ultimately falls on the parents themselves, he asserted.Official data shows that 57 percent of Indonesian students currently live in red and orange zones, while the remaining 43 percent are in green and yellow zones across 276 cities and regencies.The Federation of Indonesian Teachers Associations (FSGI) previously said that reopening more schools risked creating new infection clusters. The group has received reports of at least 180 teachers and students from across the nation who have tested positive for the virus. Education and Culture Minister Nadiem Makarim has fended off criticism over the government’s decision to allow the reopening of more schools amid the pandemic, defending the policy as a difficult but necessary trade-off to maintain students’ spirit of learning in a time of crisis. “You can consider [the decision] bold in some aspects, but on the other hand, you can also see that we’re a little late,” Nadiem said on Wednesday during the webinar “Educating the Nation”, which is part of The Jakarta Post’s webinar series “Jakpost Up Close”.“We are the second-last to reopen schools out of the 11 countries in Southeast Asia.”
In the preliminary round of the hurling qualifiers Laois will play the winners of the Christy Ring final cup between Antrim and Carlow.That game will take place in the weekend of 24th and 25th of June. The first round of qualifiers have been drawn.On the weekend of June 17th & 18th in section A Waterford will host Derry, Louth meet Longford, Wicklow face Laois and Sligo welcome Antrim.In the B section on June 24th and 25th Westmeath or Offaly will host Cavan or Monaghan, Fermanagh go to Armagh, Limerick host Wexford and Carlow go to London.