Bar seeks members who want to help educate the public about merit selection

first_imgBar seeks members who want to help educate the public about merit selection If you’d like to play a part in educating the public about merit selection versus election for trial judges, The Florida Bar is looking for you. Board of Governors member Jack Brandon, outgoing chair of the Bar’s Special Committee on Merit Selection and Retention Implementation, told the board at its Naples meeting the committee is proceeding with its 10-point plan for educating voters. The November general election ballot will offer voters an option of choosing all county and circuit court judges by the merit selection and retention process or continuing to elect them at the polls. The board has endorsed the merit system, and is launching an informational campaign for voters. “We are looking for people to work with local area team captains who are willing to go out and speak to local groups about this issue, to meet with newspaper editorial boards and go to local TV stations,” Brandon said. “We are still striving toward an education approach. We admittedly have a position, but we are trying to get the word out so voters will be educated on this issue.” He also invited board members and voluntary bar leaders to work with the team captains in the campaign. Anyone interested in helping should contact Bar Communications Director Park Trammell at (850) 561-5669 or [email protected] preparing materials for the campaign, Brandon said the Bar’s Citizens Forum, created last year to provide lay input on various issues, has been invaluable. He said the committee presented its 10-point plan to the forum and “they really opened our eyes on how to communicate. Their comments were most helpful. We’re going to rework our video script, we’re going to rework our pamphlet so it’s more user friendly and we can get our point across.” The videotape and pamphlets are expected to be ready by mid-July. Brandon said the committee is working on two versions of the video: a 15-minute version that can be shown by itself and a shorter segment that can be used by speakers to civic or other groups. In addition, the committee is developing relevant statistics, including the number of contested judicial elections involving incumbents under the current system. Preliminary figures show “relatively few judicial elections throughout the state,” Brandon said. Bar seeks members who want to help educate the public about merit selection July 15, 2000 Regular Newslast_img read more

Sexual misconduct is part of the culture

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionAt the point of being totally redundant, I find it quite perverse listening to and reading about the sexual misconduct in Hollywood, Washington, the news media and anywhere else men and women interact with each other.It’s not news; it’s gossip.Does anyone believe that the casting couch hasn’t been part of Hollywood or show biz since day one? Does anyone really believe that people in power don’t take advantage of people that are not? Does anyone really not get ill listening to our politicians trying to profess proper moral behavior? Unfortunately, this conduct between men and women is human nature. Most of the time, it’s between consenting adults. However, when it’s not and the innocent get preyed upon, then we have an issue that needs attention.There’s no way the Catholic Church can be forgiven for what was allowed to happen with pedophile priests. How about what occurred at Penn State?In both situations, it was about the money and notoriety of the institution rather than the innocent having been injured by a culture that allowed it. That’s a much bigger problem than a few people in show biz behaving the way they do.Unfortunately, people and institutions with power over people will do whatever they can do to squirm out of a situation that will affect their status, income and ego. Calling multiple accusers liars, as Judge Roy Moore is basically doing and professing what a moral person he is, surely makes you question what kind of egomaniac he truly is. And I’m afraid it will never change.Bob BeliveGlenvilleMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristslast_img read more

Hospitals slap do-not-resuscitate orders on patients without consent

first_imgStuff co.nz 26 February 2017Family First Comment: Very very disturbing“Patients are having do-not-resuscitate orders placed on them without their consent or that of their family.”Life-ending orders continue to be slapped on unsuspecting hospital patients who doctors think should be left to die.Patients are having do-not-resuscitate orders placed on them without their consent or that of their family.Stuff understands there has been one such case in recent weeks at Palmerston North Hospital, where a patient had an order placed on them without their family’s knowledge.The family did not want to publicly discuss the issue, but were shocked to discover what happened.MidCentral District Health Board did not respond to questions about the incident.The same thing happened to Tim Wallace’s mother Juanita at the same hospital in 2010.“I asked to see her file to see what she was on and they brought out the folder and in the front of it there was a thing they call a ‘green sheet’. As I found out later, the ED doctor had put a non-resuscitation order on her.”She died about three years after that admission to hospital.READ MORE: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/89655156/hospitals-slap-donotresuscitate-orders-on-patients-without-consentKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.last_img read more

Cricket News Steve Smith Overcomes Flu In Oval Test, Heaps Praise On Jofra Archer

first_imgSteve Smith has smashed over 750 runs in the 2019 Ashes series.Steve Smith has hit three centuries and two fifties in the series.Jofra Archer took his second five-wicket haul in the series. New Delhi: Steve Smith’s consistency has been simply outstanding in the 2019 Ashes series. He has scored 751 runs at an average of 125 and his lowest score in the entire series has been 80. Smith, who was battling flu at the Oval Test, still batted brilliantly and combated the conditions well as he looked good for his fourth century in the series but he was trapped LBW by Chris Woakes. Jofra Archer was the star yet again and he went on to take 6/62, his second five-wicket haul in the series. Backed by Sam Curran’s 3/46, England managed to bowl Australia out for 225 and establish a 69-run lead after Jos Buttler’s aggressive fifty helped the hosts reach 294. Speaking after the end of the day’s play, Smith heaped praise on Archer. “He’s a quality performer. He’s got two five-fors in four Test matches (Archer has twice taken six wickets in an innings) and you don’t get guys bowling 90 miles an hour growing on trees and with the skillset he’s got. He’s a terrific bowler and there’s no doubt that he’ll gain a lot of confidence from his first Test series,” Smith responded.Archer and Smith’s duel has fascinated many cricket fans in the ongoing Ashes contest. Archer’s hostile spell at Lord’s, in which he bowled in excess of 90 mph to Smith, made for some wonderful vieweing. Archer’s bouncer hit Smith on the side of the neck and the batsman was substituted by Marnus Labuschagne and missed the Leeds Test. When asked about the rivalry which can develop in the near future, Smith offered a pragmatic view.Also Read | Steve Smith Says ‘Amazing’ Feeling To Retain Ashes”Who knows? When’s the next Ashes series? I don’t even know. Will I still be playing? I’m not sure. Who knows the answer to that? We’ll see,” Smith remarked. Also Read | Ashes 2019: Steve Smith Hits 26th Test Ton, Goes Past Sachin Tendulkar To Achieve THIS FeatSmith’s brilliance and Labuschagne’s consistency has been the only shining lights in Australia’s woeful batting in the series. David Warner and Marcus Harris have failed while barring one century, Matthew Wade has also struggled. Smith said he does not have a problem of shouldering the responsibility of scoring the bulk of the runs but admitted that the conditions were different. “We haven’t seen any huge totals really throughout the whole series so it’s not been easy. There’s always been something there, I felt. If you bowl in good areas for long enough then I think we’ve seen you’ll get rewards. Playing in England is completely different from playing back home and you’ve got to find ways to play away from home. Sometimes you need to change certain little things that can help you play in certain conditions and adapt accordingly but I think it will be a good learning curve for all of our batters,” Smith said. Australia would be hoping to make some early inroads on day three as they look to win a series in England for the first time since 2001. Tim Paine’s side have already retained the Ashes having won the fourth Test at Old Trafford. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.center_img highlightslast_img read more