African teams ‘need focus on youth’ to make World Cup progress

first_img0Shares0000Senegal missed out on the World Cup knockout rounds because of their disciplinary record© AFP Fabrice COFFRINIMOSCOW, Russia, July 12 – Former Nigeria star Emmanuel Amunike says African teams need to focus on improving youth development after a poor showing from the continent’s representatives at the World Cup.None of Africa’s five teams made it past the group stage in Russia, with Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco managing only three wins between them. “It was a disappointment for the African teams and the African continent,” admitted Amunike, who was speaking at a press conference in Moscow on Thursday as part of FIFA’s technical study group analysing the World Cup.“A lot of people were expecting African teams to progress beyond what they have done previously, but unfortunately it didn’t materialise,”Senegal were particularly unlucky not to make the last 16, losing out to Japan only because of their poorer disciplinary record.But it was a big step backwards after both Nigeria and Algeria made it to the knockout rounds in 2014 and Ghana went to the quarter-finals in South Africa eight years ago.Indeed, it was the first time since 1982 that no team from the continent had made it past the first round.“The truth is that we all are aware that football has developed a lot and will continue to change, and we in Africa, if we don’t embrace the responsibility and see how we can develop our youth, will continue to live on dreams,” added Amunike.A winger with Sporting Lisbon and Barcelona in the 1990s, Amunike played for the Super Eagles at the 1994 World Cup, scoring as they lost in extra-time to Italy in the last 16.He later moved into coaching and had a successful spell working with Nigeria’s under-17 side.“I was privileged to coach the under-17s and I can tell you that there is a lot of raw talent but raw talent, without polishing them, will not give you a result,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

E. Cardon Walker, third leader of the Walt Disney Co., dies at 89

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! BURBANK, Calif. (AP) – E. Cardon “Card” Walker, who helped create Walt Disney World and expand the company’s theme parks around the world, has died. He was 89. Walker died of congestive heart failure Monday at his home in La Canada Flintridge, Disney officials said Wednesday. Walker helped lead Disney Co. through a difficult transition after the death of Walt Disney in 1966. As a board member from 1960 until 1983, he was instrumental in helping to expand the company’s theme parks, including the purchase and development of 28,000 acres in central Florida that later became Walt Disney World. He became president of the company in 1971, the year co-founder Roy O. Disney died and Walt Disney World opened. Walker joined Disney in 1938, starting in the mailroom. He later moved into advertising and sales and became vice president of marketing. In 1966, he was named executive vice president and chief operating officer after Walt Disney’s death. In 1971, he was named Disney’s president and in 1976 became chief executive officer. He was elected chairman of the board in 1980. He presided over the opening of EPCOT in Florida, Tokyo Disneyland and the creation of the Disney Channel, the company’s first cable network. After his retirement, Ron Miller, Walt Disney’s son-in-law, ran the company for two years. Miller was succeeded in 1984 by Michael Eisner. “Thanks to his deep understanding of the company and its founders, talking to Card was the next-best thing to talking to Walt himself,” Eisner said Wednesday in a statement. Walker was born in 1916 in Rexburg, Idaho. He is survived by his wife, Winnie, three children and five grandchildren.last_img read more