Fundamentalists target Twitter and Facebook in unprecedented move

first_img Help by sharing this information Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria NigeriaAfrica RSF_en News Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures NigeriaAfrica Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms March 24, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Fundamentalists target Twitter and Facebook in unprecedented move June 10, 2021 Find out more Newscenter_img News Receive email alerts Organisation Reporters Without Borders deplores yesterday’s ruling by an Islamic court in Kaduna, in the northern state of Zamfara, ordering a Nigerian human rights group, the Civil Rights Congress, to close its blog and stop hosting debates on Twitter and Facebook about the use of amputation to punish theft. The debates were prompted by the 10th anniversary of Nigeria’s first amputation under Sharia law.“An Islamic court has banned an online debate about the Sharia and human rights for the first time in Nigeria,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This order may be hard to enforce, but there is a real risk that it could encourage widespread self-censorship.” The press freedom organisation added: “It has set a disturbing precedent in a country that has so far not introduced Internet controls and is indicative of the mistrust that some fundamentalist groups feel towards online interactivity. We support the Civil Rights Congress in its determination to challenge this decision.”Judge Lawal Mohammed of Kaduna’s Magajin Gari court yesterday issued an order “restraining the respondents (the CRC) either by themselves or their agents from opening a chat forum on Facebook, Twitter, or any blog for the purpose of the debate on the amputation of Malam Buba Bello Jangebe.”Jangebe was the first person to be punished by amputation of the hand after the Sharia was introduced in 12 northern states including Zamfara. The sentence set off a wave of condemnation both in Nigeria and abroad.The court issued the injunction in response to a complaint filed on 19 March by the Moslem Brotherhood of Nigeria alleging that the online debates were making “a mockery of the Sharia system.”The head of the CRC, Shehu Sani, said his organisation would appeal against the order. “We opened the blog and the Facebook and Twitter chats to give Nigerians a platform to air their views on Sharia law and on the justification or otherwise of amputation,” he said. to go further February 8, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Nigeria January 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

O.C. Welcomes Summer With a Splash

first_imgBy Maddy VitaleMark LeMunyon had two monumental things to celebrate Friday, the first day of the Memorial Day weekend.It was his 31st birthday and the Keller Williams administrative assistant had something else to smile about – his first Business Persons Plunge in Ocean City.LeMunyon dressed for the occasion, donning a bejeweled crown, a briefcase, sport coat and casual but office-worthy shirt, tie and pants.“It’s my birthday, so I needed to wear a crown,” he joked moments before he joined about 200 other business people to hop in the ocean. “I think this is an incredible event. It is just a great way to open the beaches and the ocean. I feel invigorated.”The wacky tradition, which has officials and business people marching into the waves at Moorlyn Terrace beach, is in its 16th year. At the start of the plunge, a banner plane flew over, highlighting the anniversary of the event.Revelers sported chic dresses, formal suits and costumes. This year, a businessman took the dip wearing a mask of President Trump.Some of the business people laughed as waves rolled in and got them a bit wetter than they might have expected.Hundreds of onlookers lined up to watch the zany spectacle led by John Walton, a local real estate broker and first runner-up in Ocean City’s Mr. Mature America Pageant in both 2018 and 2019.Mark LeMunyon, administrative assistant at the Keller Williams real estate firm, raises his arm in victory after he takes the plunge.Walton said every year, with the support of the city, the event helps to generate free publicity and media coverage to start the season off right.This year even more merchants joined in the tradition, he pointed out.“Between the beautiful weather, the backing of the city and the interest from the merchants, this is one of the biggest plunges we’ve had,” Walton noted.Michele Gillian, executive director of the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce, was pleased with the big turnout and said the day marks “100 days of great summer weather.”“The crowds are great. The fact that we were named by Coastal Living Magazine as one of the top 10 places to go on Memorial Day weekend may have brought more people,” Gillian said. “People are coming down and staying for the weekend. Our accommodations are doing well. There are still some available, but very little. It is going to be a packed, beautiful weekend.”Mark Soifer, retired Ocean City public relations director, “unlocks” the beach.A companion event took place before the Business Persons Plunge. This event, which also attracts crowds for its zaniness, was the annual “Unlocking of the Ocean” and “Unlocking of the Beach,” emceed by Director of Special Events Michael Hartman.Mark Soifer, the former public relations director for Ocean City, comes out of retirement every year to “unlock the beach” with a giant wooden key.On Friday, he was joined by a host of dignitaries, including Former U.S. Ambassador to Panama and Congressman Bill Hughes, Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian and City Council members.Before the unlocking, Gillian said a few words. He joked that with Soifer’s permission, “America’s Greatest Family Resort” was going to be renamed “The World’s Greatest Family Resort.”He told the onlookers that while Memorial Day weekend is meant to be enjoyed with family and friends, it is also a time to remember members of the military for all of their sacrifices.“When you see a veteran say thank you,” Gillian said.The revelers make their march into the ocean.Officials and onlookers enjoy the fun tradition that welcomes summer.Paul Chiolo, of Keller Williams, with his sons, Anthony, at left, and Michael, moments before they take a dip.The Boardwalk bustles at the start of Memorial Day weekend.Ocean City mascot Martin Z. Mollusk makes an appearance. His creator, Mark Soifer, stands in the back, (white hat) with pageant winners, Mr. Mature America 2019 Jack Merritt, Miss Ocean City Megan Keenan, Junior Miss Ocean City Julia Wilson and Little Miss Ocean City Stevie Wright. In a scene from 2019, John Walton, holding the American flag, leads the celebrants in the Business Person’s Plunge that traditionally “unlocks” the ocean to open Ocean City’s summer tourism season.last_img read more

USG hosts open house for new students

first_imgUSC Undergraduate Student Government held its first open house Tuesday night to recruit new members for the 2013-14 school year. Students who attended the event at the USG office in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center received pizza, Red Bull along with information about USG’s various programs and committees.Representatives from USG’s Senate, Program Board and Executive Cabinet attended the event and met prospective members. USG Senior Director of Communications Olivia Diamond organized the event.“It was exciting to see a lot of new faces out here … We want everyone to know that joining USG is a great opportunity; it lets you make what you want to happen at USC happen,” Diamond said.Student applicants arrived with various ideas on improving on-campus events, such as concerts and social gatherings. Some students had already attended open meetings that USG’s Program Board held last year.“I like the meetings the Program Board has, and I want to get more involved,” said Jesse Torres, a sophomore majoring in electrical engineering. “Most of all, I want the student body to be entertained, and [for there to be] a good atmosphere around campus.”Other students, particularly freshmen, said they were interested in USG because of previous experiences they had participating in high school student government.“Student government was sort of the peak of my time in high school,” said April Sandoval, a freshman majoring in business administration. I learned a lot about myself as a leader, and I want leadership to be a part of my college experience as well.”The open house is USG’s second major recruitment event this week, following a promotional event near Tommy Trojan on Tuesday afternoon.“I’m really pleased with the overall turnout,” said USG President Christian Kurth. I think of all the recent years, this is the biggest turnout we’ve had, especially for the first night.”USG officers will host a second open house Wednesday night for students who were not able to attend the first. USG officers are optimistic about the upcoming event.“Tomorrow we’re expecting even more people. We’re looking for students who are involved and ambitious,” Kurth said. “I’m hoping to break some records with applications.” Follow us on Twitter @dailytrojanlast_img read more

Three killed in T&T Carnival celebrations

first_imgAt least three people, including a 17-year-old schoolboy, were killed as Trinidad and Tobago celebrated the annual Carnival celebrations with street parades on Monday.Police said Reshad Singh, was stabbed during an altercation during the J’Ouvert celebrations in Chaguanas.They said three people have since been detained and are assisting in the investigations.Police said they also ended the J’Ouvert celebrations in San Fernando a few hours early, after an unidentified man was also stabbed to death and another injured.The authorities said the man was involved in an altercation with a group of men and they began fighting. He was stabbed in the chest and abdomen. He was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) where he was pronounced dead on arrival.Police also reported that 21-year-old, Keon Jack, who was with friends, was shot and is in a critical condition at the SFGH.In the other incident, police said a 77-year-old man from Florida died “when he got caught under the wheels of a music truck in the vicinity of Victoria Square” in the capital. The police did not disclose the name of the visitor.They also said a 30-year-old unidentified woman has been admitted to the Port of Spain General Hospital after falling off a music truck.The police said they were reminding operators of the music trucks of the measures for granting licenses, noting “the operators of these vehicles must ensure there is no risk to public safety when engaging or driving their vehicles.”Trinidad and Tobago security officials are on high alert after eight men have been detained amid reports of a terrorist plot to disrupt the Carnival celebrations that end here on Tuesday with the traditional street jump-up.“In anti-crime exercises carried out through the country several persons were arrested for possession of narcotics, possession of weapons, resisting arrest and disorderly behavior as police enforced a zero tolerance on any infraction of the law,” the TTPS said.last_img read more