COVID-19 now a real threat to year-end polls

first_imgEpidemiologist Tri Yunis Miko Wahyono said such a lack of discipline in social distancing during elections would definitely increase the risk of COVID-19 transmissions in the country, attributing it to the failure of the KPU to impose stricter sanctions on offenders.He warned that the transmissions would further escalate if people kept neglecting protocols in the coming campaign season, which will run from Sep. 26 to Dec. 5.“Therefore, the sanctions must be firm. If they repeatedly violate the rules, the KPU should drop their candidacy,” Tri said on Tuesday.Read also: ‘We should not stop being democratic’: Govt insists on holding regional races in December Democracy and public health are under threat as the 2020 simultaneous regional elections in 270 regions across Indonesia may emerge as new sources of COVID-19 infections in the country, experts and lawmaker have warned.The Election Supervisory Agency (Bawaslu) has found that 243 prospective candidates ignored health protocols when they brought along large entourages to register their candidacies with the local offices of the General Elections Commission (KPU) from Sept. 4 to Sept. 6.These prospective candidates and their supporters violated a KPU regulation that prohibits mass-gatherings during all stages of the elections, from the preparations starting from June 15 to the final vote count a week after the Dec. 9 polling day. The regulation says the KPU can only issue a warning to the candidates and campaign teams. Netty Prasetiyani of House of Representatives’ Commission IX overseeing health said stricter sanctions were key to preventing transmissions during elections and that all candidates should educate their supporters better about COVID-19 prevention.”The KPU announcement [of eligible candidates on Sept. 23] and campaign events should be carried out virtually. Prospective leaders must prioritize their people’s health,” she said.The government and the House insisted in late May on holding the elections on Dec. 9 despite the health risks. The KPU has since found itself under pressure to draft special health measures.Read also: So much work, so little time: KPU under pressure over regional pollsExperts and activists have repeatedly urged authorities to postpone the elections, as the COVID-19 outbreak in the country could continue late into the year, but so far to no avail.They say the elections, to choose 270 regional leaders comprising nine governors, 224 regents and 37 mayors, will put voters and election organizers at risk of contracting the disease. They have also expressed concern about low voter turnout should the outbreak in the country show no signs of abating, thus discouraging people from showing up at polling stations and eventually undermining democracy.Now, with three months to go to polling day, the KPU has found that 46 out of 734 prospective candidates have tested positive for COVID-19. Several hopefuls have died of the disease even before placing their bids.KPU commissioner Hasyim Asy’ari told The Jakarta Post the commission would continue verifying the 46 names online rather than in person.If they pass the verification, they are still eligible to run in the elections despite having the disease. However, they will not be allowed to hold campaigns as they will be required to focus on their recovery, according to the KPU.Political parties endorsing candidates who have died of COVID-19 after registering with the KPU can replace them with new names by providing death certificates of the former candidates, Hasyim said.A Democratic Party-backed regent candidate in Karo regency, North Sumatra, Kena Ukur Karo Jambi Surbakti, 74, died from COVID-19 on the last day of registration for regional elections on Sunday. The party later replaced him with his daughter after the supporting parties, the Golkar Party and the National Mandate Party, agreed to the substitution.But Fadli Ramadhanil of the Association for Elections and Democracy (Perludem) recommended that the government, the KPU and the House postpone the remaining election stages, including the campaign period.“In a critical situation like this, they should consider whether these election stages should continue or not,” he said.Read also: Majority of public wants regional elections delayed: SurveysPresident Joko “Jokowi” Widodo was quick to comment on the issue, saying that the elections could not be postponed because the government could not predict when the outbreak would end.Jokowi, whose eldest son Gibran Rakabuming Raka and son-in-law Bobby Afif Nasution are running in the Surakarta, Central Java, and Medan, North Sumatra, mayoral races, respectively, doubled down on his message for election organizers to enforce strict health protocols in the lead-up to and on voting day.“The safety and health of the public is everything, so enforcing health protocols is non-negotiable,” Jokowi said.KPU head Arief Budiman said the commission was set to apply stricter health protocols for the coming campaign period, the conditions of which have been laid out in the prevailing regulation.The commission will allow only 100 participants during face-to-face campaign rallies, which will be limited to one session for each mayoral and regency candidate and two sessions for each gubernatorial candidate.Above all, the commission is urging candidates to refrain from hosting campaign rallies in person and instead turn to online platforms.Bawaslu head Abhan said the agency was now considering reporting those candidates in the future who neglect health protocols to the police. “We are exploring numerous possibilities. One option is to use criminal offenses under the Criminal Code or the Health Quarantine Law.”Topics :last_img read more

Twenty-six strong to defend Guyana in athletics at IGG

first_imgGUYANA’S defence of their athletics title at the Inter-Guiana Games will be supported by a 26-strong athletic, being led by World Youth Championships silver medallist Daniel Williams, along with CARIFTA Games gold medallist Chantoba Bright and South American Junior silver medallist Joanna Archer.The athletes were selected by the Athletics Association of Guyana (AAG) based on their performances at the trials last month, and will travel to Suriname to represent Guyana against the Surinamese athletes at the August 24-28 IGG.Notwithstanding missing last year, winners Kenisha Phillips, Avon Samuels, Onasha Rogers, Anfernee Headecker and Guyana’s sprint ace Compton Caesar, this year’s team looks good on paper and poised to defend Guyana’s title in athletics.Phillips, who just returned from representing Guyana at Commonwealth Youth Games, is out nursing injuries, while Samuels, Rogers and Caesar are no longer eligible to compete, by virtue of having finished school – a requirement of the Games of all participating athletes.Despite doing poorly in other sports at the multi-sport Games, Guyana have always maintained a healthy reputation in athletics. Aside from athletics, football, volleyball, basketball, swimming and cycling competitions will also be contested at the Games.This year ‘s team also includes other notables such South American Junior silver medallists Tortque Boyce, Samuel Lynch and Tyrell Peters. The team is also loaded with several repeat performers.Peters, who brought second in the Boys’ 100m last year, will get his chance to shine this year, winning the 100m at the trials in a time of 10.71 seconds. Deshauna Skeete who played second fiddle to Samuels in the Girls’ 400m last year will also have a chance to improve her standing.Archer returns to defend her Girls’ 800m and 1500m titles, while Bright will be looking to defend hers in the Girls’ long and triple jumps.The full team is as followsGirls: Toyan Raymond (100m, 200m), Binka Joseph (100m), Deshauna Skeete (200m, 400m), Kezra Murray (400m, 800m), Joanna Archer (800m, 1500m), Shaquka Tyrell (1500M, 3000m), Leyanna Charles (3000m), Chantoba Bright (long jump, triple jump), Tatyanna Blair (long jump, high jump), Virlyn Gibson (triple jump, high jump), Mian McPherson (shot put, javelin), Jamacia Scott (shot put, discus), Prudence Codrington (javelin, discus)Boys: Tyrell Peters (100m, 200m), Umkosie Vancooten (100m, 200m), Daniel Williams (400m, high jump), Samuel Lynch (400m, 800m), Daniel Melville (800m, discus), Murphy Nash (1500m, 5000m), Ronaldo Wishart (1500m, javelin), Rickie Williams (5000m), Anthony Williams (long jump, triple jump), Ronaldo Greene (long jump, triple jump), Tortque Boyce (high jump), Jermin Simmons (shot put, javelin), Lennox Henry (shot put, discus).last_img read more

Poll: How many wins do you think Syracuse will reach this season

first_img Published on August 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse added Nebraska transfer Andrew White III on Sunday, its second graduate transfer this season (John Gillion being the other). With Syracuse’s roster now likely set, how many wins do you think the Orange will stack up this year?Let us know in our poll: Commentslast_img

‘Jobs, investment, sustainable debt’

first_img11 February 2009Protecting the poor and sustaining job creation were two of five guiding principles that formed the basis of Finance Minister Trevor Manuel’s latest Budget speech.Delivering his Budget speech to Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday, Manuel said that, in a time of global economic turmoil, the government had been guided by five enduring principles in drawing up South Africa’s national Budget for 2009/10.These were: protecting the poor; sustaining jobs growth and expanding training opportunities; building economic capacity and promoting investment; addressing the “barriers to competitiveness that limit equitable sharing of opportunities”; and maintaining a sustainable debt level “so that our actions do not constrain our development tomorrow”.‘GDP growth of 1.2% in 2009’According to the National Treasury, South Africa’s incomes and outputs slowed sharply in the second half of 2008, with gross domestic product (GDP) growth averaging about 3.1 percent in 2008.With the slowdown in international demand for South Africa’s exports, including the commodities that form the bedrock of the country’s economy, as well as reduced consumer spending and high interest rates, GDP growth is expected to average 1.2 percent for 2009, recovering to 4 percent by 2011.“We expect output growth to improve in 2010, supported by public infrastructure spending, lower interest rates, the 2010 Fifa World Cup and a recovery in the world economy,” Manuel said.Trading conditions ‘tough’However, he warned that trading conditions were tough and “likely to deteriorate further in the short term.”2008 was a year of economic shocks for South African producers, with increasing electricity tariffs, rising input costs, high interest rates and slowing demand for goods among consumers.The mining sector was one of the worst affected by the slowdown in demand in 2008, as evidenced by Monday’s announcement by one of South Africa’s biggest mining houses, Anglo Platinum, that it planned to cut 10 000 jobs in 2009.Manuel said the manufacturing, retail trade and residential construction sectors had also been badly hit by the global slowdown, and had already begun laying off workers, with the pace of job losses set to increase.Inflationary pressures easeInflation in South Africa has over the past two years been fuelled by rapid increases in food and oil prices, domestic capacity constraints and a weaker local currency, as well as rising electricity tariffs.The consumer inflation averaged 11.3 percent in 2008, spurred by an inflationary cycle which began in June 2006.Despite this, the National Treasury expects inflation to return to within the South African Reserve Bank’s inflation target band of 3-6 percent by the first half of 2009.In response to an improving inflation outlook and an easing of inflationary pressures such as oil prices, the central bank cut South Africa’s interest rates by a cumulative 1.5 percent between December 2008 and February 2009.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

FIFA research says 3.5B people viewed some World Cup action

first_imgView comments Chooks-to-Go 3×3 league set to kick off with 12 city-based teams The 10 most watched games all had a verified average TV audience of more than 260 million viewers. The second-highest rating was 327.5 million for Croatia’s semifinal win over England in extra time.FIFA’s research suggests most viewers also watched for longer than they did four years earlier.The number of people watching at least 30 consecutive minutes of any game in their home was almost 2.5 billion — up more than 27 percent from the same measure in 2014.South Americans were the most avid viewers despite watching fewer hours overall of a tournament where Brazil exited in the quarterfinals, and Argentina in the round of 16.FIFA said 96.6 percent of South America’s population saw at least one minute of any game. However, their 5.52 billion hours of total viewing fell 26.9 percent from the 2014 tournament where host Brazil placed fourth.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READcenter_img In Europe —which provided all four semifinalists in Russia — the 2018 World Cup reached 86 percent of people watching an average of 14.6 hours.“In contrast only 38.4 percent of the Asian population were reached by World Cup coverage, reflecting relatively lower interest in the Indian subcontinent,” FIFA said.Still, almost 30 percent more viewing hours were measured in Asia, where games in Russia were played in time zones more convenient than in 2014.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Changing viewing habits — and no South American team in the final — help explain a drop from the 545-million average TV audience for the Germany-Argentina final in 2014.In comparison, the 2016 European Championship final attracted a 284.4 million average audience for Portugal beating host France. The most-watched Super Bowl in the United States was 114.4 million when the New England Patriots beat the Seattle Seahawks in 2015.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefFIFA said the global TV audience for the 64-match tournament in Russia averaged 191 million per game — up from 187 million for the 2014 edition in Brazil.“Each game was a global televisual event in its own right,” soccer’s governing body said, citing research by Publicis Media Sport & Entertainment. BREAKING: Corrections officer shot dead in front of Bilibid SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FILE – In this Sunday, July 15, 2018 file photo, people watch a giant screen during the World Cup final between France and Croatia, on the Champ de Mars next to the Eiffel Tower in Paris. FIFA says more than 3.5 billion people viewed some of the 2018 World Cup, with 1.12 billion watching at least one minute of France beating Croatia 4-2 in the final. A FIFA-commissioned review of World Cup viewing says Friday, Dec. 21 the final’s television audience was 516.6 million by the traditional measure of “global average in-home audience.” (AP Photo/Bob Edme, file)GENEVA  — More than 3.5 billion people viewed some of the 2018 World Cup action, with 1.12 billion watching at least one minute of France beating Croatia 4-2 in the final, according to FIFA.A FIFA-commissioned review of World Cup viewing published Friday said the television audience for the final was 516.6 million by the traditional measure of “global average in-home audience.” More watched on digital devices and out-of-home screenings in public spaces, bars and restaurants.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more